HealthiER Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup! :)
November 14, 2012 by 3 Comments
|Hi guys!!! I wanted to share this awesome recipe with you that I made for my family tonight! It’s a healthier version of creamy chicken & wild rice soup! It’s roughly 250 calories per 1 1/4 cups and it is DELISH!!! Let me know how you like it if you try it!5 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups fat free half and half
3 cooked & shredded chicken breasts (to cook/shred I boil them for 10-15 minutes and shred with 2 forks!)
1 cup diced onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
(I like to bulk it up with more veggies…it originally called for 1/2 cup of each..up to you!)
1/2 cup all purpose flour (the not so healthy part of this recipe…but it’s minimal)
2/3 cups uncooked wild rice (You can also use the instant kind like Uncle Ben’s to save a LOT of time! Long grain & wild rice by Uncle Ben’s works great.)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. thyme
1) Cook rice according to package directions.
2) In a large saucepan, cook olive oil, onions, celery, carrots, and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Stir in the broth, pepper, basil, and thyme and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
3) Add shredded chicken & drained rice into the broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4) In a small bowl, mix half and half & flour together until smooth. Gradually stir the cream mixture into the soup.
5) Cook & stir for 5-8 minutes or until it thickens up. (I always like to let it simmer for a little while too so it gets to the right consistency!)
If you want to add more spices to it or add salt, do so as desired!
© Copyright 2011 Courtney Crozier · All Rights Reserved ·